Thursday, April 05, 2007

Exercising my brain

For the past several years, I’ve had this distinct fear that I’m losing my mind. Not that I’m going crazy, but that I’m losing my capacity for cognitive processing and memory retention. It is reasonable that changes in my mental performance could be due to age and stress, in addition to the several head injuries I’ve sustained over the years. However, I recently read a series of articles in Newsweek that really opened my eyes into a new possibility.

Researchers are discovering the unique, and highly linked, relationship between aerobic exercise and the brain. Discoveries have shown us that as little as 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, three times a week, helps the brain create new neurons and develop stronger neurotransmitters. In addition, exercise increases several key chemicals, including brain-derived neurotrophic factor or BDNF.

What does all this mean? In addition to helping us control our weight and reduce stress, aerobic exercise can actually increase memory capacity, speed of information processing, control ADHD, and stave off Alzheimers. Researchers are saying a person who begins exercising at any point in their life, will begin to see results in several weeks. The key is to maintain exercising, as these effects require consistent support.

The interesting element is evidence that indicates that children who are exposed to exercise develop long-term effects of brain power. As their minds are young and supple, the increased neurons and neurotransmitters have a lasting effect that will stay with them for years.

So, maybe I have lost brain power as compared to my brilliant youth. But there is something I can do about it.

For more info check out:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17662246/site/newsweek/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would just like everyone in internetland to know that the primary injuries to Ellen's head were a result of something other than spousal abuse. However some damage has been on my part, totally by accident of course.

Ellen, remember that day we were ice skating in St. Louis? You know I really could hold you over my head with only one hand longer than that. That kid made me drop you while we were really getting into the spin. Sorry. I love you.